Last month I was a guest on the One Woman Shop Member Spotlight on Blab and we chatted about building an online business as a working mom.
In January, I took a huge leap of faith and quit my corporate job after 10.5 years. I now work from home for a smaller company as the Director of Global Marketing. It’s been a huge change going from a Fortune 100 company to a small company with less than 20 people, but it’s also been the best thing I’ve ever done to give myself the freedom to build my own business on the side.
Since I had my daughter in 2012, I’ve been desperately trying to figure out a better work-life balance for myself. I’ve always been attracted to the idea of working for myself but after years in corporate America, it felt nearly impossible to ever be able to break free.
During the One Woman Shop Spotlight, we dive into how I finally took the leap of faith and what I am doing now to build my own business while still working full-time.
Watch the Video
Read the Transcript
Don’t have time to watch the video? Download the transcript to take with you on the go!
Get the Highlights
Words of wisdom from my conversation with Sara and Cristina from One Woman Shop:
- Starting a blog allowed me to grow outside of my comfort zone through opportunities such as being on Fox News and going to the White House to meet President Obama. “It’s very hard for me to work up the courage to form new relationships and think that people even care about what I have to say.”
- Comfort zone be gone. There’s no comfort zone left!
- When the White House invited me, I wasn’t even blogging regularly. “People care. People will find you and they care, which I have to say this is an important topic (family-friendly workplace policies). So that’s when I really felt the spark to get started (in my business).”
- You don’t need to have a big audience. You just need to put out good content. It’s even more than that, it’s the fact that the content you put out today can have a lasting effect where two years from now, somebody might find that.
- Just because I chose to have kids doesn’t mean I can’t say it’s difficult because it is difficult. Little human beings are difficult!
- My passion is putting out content and products that are going to help other moms make a lifestyle change that benefits their family and their careers.
- Struggling to find your voice? Just think of one person and write to them.
- The number one lesson that I learned is: people are mean and you can’t let that bring you down. Don’t let keyboard cowards bring you down!
- Right now I’m working on a course to help other working moms start their own business so that they can transition out of their corporate jobs and find the balance they’ve always wanted.
I want to be able to tell other moms that they can break free from their corporate careers. That it seems impossible because three years ago when I started this blog, I felt trapped. I was never going to get out of the cubicle. And I did. I still can’t believe it.
Need Help Getting Started? Take my FREE email course!
About One Woman Shop
One Woman Shop is your safety net. They’re part resource, part community, and all heart. There, you’re surrounded by a community of freelancers, solopreneur business women who are taking risks and changing their lives for the better— in business and beyond— day in and day out.
They’re there to provide you with kick-ass inspiration, help you develop the business you want and deserve, and ensure that you never have another case of the Mondays— in short, they’re helping you “mind your own business.” So sit down, grab a cup of coffee, and get connected with One Woman Shop. Because going it alone doesn’t have to be lonely.
Thank you to Sara and Cristina for hosting me on the One Woman Shop Spotlight and for allowing me to be part of the awesome community you’ve built for woman solopreneurs!
Do you want to be part of One Woman Shop?
If you have your own business or you are looking to start your own business, I’d love to introduce you to Sara and Cristina. Shoot me an email and I’ll hook you up!