Being a mom is hard, whether you work outside the house or from home or if you are a full-time stay at home mom. Being a mom is hard!
A few weeks ago I wrote an article for Scary Mommy that went gangbusters on Facebook and then got banned 6 hours later. You’d think the topic was controversial but it wasn’t and it left me scratching my head in bewilderment.
The original title of my article was Work-Life Balance Doesn’t Exist and Here’s Why. Scary Mommy changed the title to be Working Moms: Give Yourself Permission To Let Things Slip and this caused stay-at-home-moms (some of them at least) to automatically think this was an article comparing and contrasting the differences between working full-time or staying home full-time and things got crazy, fast.
Some of the comments that stand out to me (from Facebook but have since been deleted) are:
- I’m a terrible mother and I don’t love my child because I work
- I obviously do not value the hard work of motherhood
- I am a man hater
So many people reported the link to Facebook that they removed all 5,500 shares (mostly positive shares) and banned it from Facebook completely. Crazy, right? Even in the comment section on Scary Mommy’s website some of the nasty comments had to be deleted by admins.
Unfortunately, the main point of the article got missed by quite a few people. The main point was that life is busy and stressful and sometimes we can’t do it all and we need to give ourselves the grace to be okay with our best not always being perfect.
Luckily, I am not alone in feeling that there is no such thing as a perfect mom. So, mom, this list is for you!
10 Things You Need to Hear on the Hard Days
- Your hard is hard! There is no sense comparing yourself to the mom sitting next to you. Every single person has their own struggles and it’s okay.
- It’s easier to believe the lies about ourselves when we are tired and stressed. Ain’t that the truth?!
- There is power in naming your weaknesses and your mistakes. Say it with me… this shit is hard!
- Your failures and mistakes do not define you. NO, they do NOT! We all make mistakes, even moms.
- It’s okay not be good at everything and we shouldn’t expect to be!
- The fact that we care means there is so much room for improvement! When we set our minds to it, we can make anything happen!
- Failures are an incredible opportunity to model authentic and healthy relationships for our kids. AMEN!
- It is the sum of our days, not just today that shapes our kid’s long term character. Today, when you lost your temper, you didn’t ruin them for life (I promise)!
- Those visions in your head of everyone else’s house being cleaner than yours? Not true. Okay, except maybe on the days when the cleaning lady just left 😉
- It’s okay to go to bed super early. Tomorrow is a new day. It’s 7pm? Somebody is sleeping somewhere!
So breathe easy Momma, you are not alone!