I’ve been super busy preparing for the holidays this year. We hosted Thanksgiving and I also went Black Friday shopping the next morning. With preparing my shopping lists for Christmas, buying presents, decorating and working, I have not had the chance to blog! This year, one of the things I decided to do was start a homemade ornament tradition. I have an obsession with Mod Podge and anything that glitters is my friend, so here is a simple tutorial on making Mod Podge Photo Ornaments.
- Mod Podge extreme glitter
- Acrylic paint (I used a solid red and Martha Stewart’s red glitter for a top coat, black for the letters)
- 4″ x 4″ wood square (or coasters will work too)
- Christmas ribbon
- Journaling box
- Wood letters
- Photos of choice
- Wood glue
- Paint the wood square (I painted solid red and after it dried I used the red glitter for a top coat)
- Paint the wood letter of choice (I painted solid black and after it dried I used the red glitter for a top coat)
- After the wood square is dried, drill a hole through the top for where the ribbon will go
- Crop your choice of photo to fit the square
- Prepare a journaling box for the back (I used a plain journaling box and old die cuts I had)
- Apply a liberal coat of Mod Podge to the front, set the picture down and use another liberal coat over the picture
- After dried, repeat on the back with the journaling box
- Poke holes where you drilled the hole earlier and string through the Christmas ribbon
- Glue on the appropriate wood letter
I did this over a few nights after my daughter went to bed since you have to let everything dry appropriately. I’m giving a few of them out for Christmas gifts this year and I put one for my daughter and one of the family on our own tree.
Update 10/26/18: I have done these five years in a row and have made for a wonderful tradition that we plan on continuing.
This year, we welcome our second baby into the world. Now I’ll be created three ornaments every year. One for each of my daughters and one of us as a whole family!
Need More Holiday Planning Tips?