If you spend any amount of time on Pinterest, you’ll notice that the topic of living frugally is pretty popular. It’s one thing I’ve never been very good at myself. I truly admire people who can be frugal! Most of the time when I read an article about how to save money by being frugal, I think that I don’t want to do anything they suggest. Maybe I am too rebellious!
So, if I don’t want to SAVE MONEY, my only other option is to MAKE MORE MONEY! Yes, now that’s something I can get behind. What can you do to easily increase your income? These 5 books will help you learn new ways.
5 Books: Increase Your Income
- Think and Grow Rich: The Secret to Wealth Updated for the 21st Century by Napoleon Hill. Strangely enough, there were more self-made millionaires who came into their wealth during The Great Depression than any other time in history. Andrew Carnegie hired Napoleon Hill to interview these wealthy Americans to determine what they had in common and how they created their financial success. The results are written in this timeless book. This book is essential reading for personal achievement.
- Make Money, Not Excuses. Wake Up, Take Charge and Overcome Your Financial Fears Forever by Jean Chatzky. Wealth is something that every woman has the power to create. Jean Chatzky tells how she constantly hears excuses of why women can’t and don’t master their money. In Make Money, Not Excuses, she shares her secrets for taking control of her own money which allowed her to gain her “money confidence.” This books will teach you how to get over your “I’m not smart enough to deal with money” fears and teach you how to track your overspending and be a successful investor.
- The Compound Effect. Jumpstart Your Income, Your Life, Your Success by Darren Hardy. The Compound Effect is based on a simple principle that your decisions shape your destiny. Small, everyday decisions that are compounded over time, will either help you create the life you desire or a life of disaster. Darren Hardy is the publisher of Success Magazine and in this book, he shows you an easy, step-by-step process to chart your progress and achieve your desires.
- The Automatic Millionaire: A Powerful One-Step Plan to Live and Finish Rich by David Bach. In this book, David Bach shares a powerful story of a couple whose joint income never exceeds $55,000 a year. Yet they manage to own two homes, put their kids through college and retire at 55, completely debt-free and millionaires. This book will show you that you don’t need a budget, you don’t need to make a lot of money AND you can create a successful plan in an hour. David Bach’s system is based on timeless principles of financial success. He even includes several resources for you to put his system in place right from the comfort of your home.
- Multiple Streams of Income: How to Generate a Lifetime of Unlimited Wealth! by Robert G. Allen. This book provides several methods for generating over $100,000 a year on a part-time basis, and mostly right from your home. Robert Allen researched and invested in hundreds of income-producing opportunities and narrowed them down to the top 10 money makers that anyone can profit from. The methods work regardless of your education or financial background.
Digital Spreadsheet and Cash Projections
The other side of making money is understanding how you are spending your money. The ability to project your finances out so that you understand how much money you need to bring in versus how much you are spending is huge.
As a working mom, I know a lot of my readers live in a digital world and would rather track their budgets paperless. One of the biggest drawbacks to a paper budget is that it’s hard to project out expenses and have a solid understanding of where you sit financially.
For example, if you project out all your expenses for a year and in the middle of the year an unexpected expense hits, do you know where that will leave you the rest of the year? You may have an idea, but we know that unexpected expenses come up a lot so why not have a way to project out your cash flow and understand your finances better?
Cash projections help you to plan better, save more, and spend less time in your finances. Being organized from month to month considerably cuts back on the time you need to spend paying bills, a perfect solution for busy families!
I recently put together the system I use to manage our family finances in Google Sheets. It’s called the Easy Budget and Financial Planning Spreadsheet for Busy Families and it’s basically what I live and breathe by with making financial decisions quickly and easily for our family. I include a 22-minute video showing how to set it up and use it to make monthly bill paying and projecting out your financial cash flow super easy!
If you feel like you spend way too much time paying bills every month, you have no idea what your cash flow will look like at the end of the year, or you have no digital organization of your finances, Easy Budget and Financial Planning Spreadsheet for Busy Families is a must have!
One of my favorite ways to make extra money is through blogging and freelancing. Find out more: 50+ Blogging and Freelancing Resources and Ultimate Beginners Guide to Blogging: How to Blog for Money