I am so glad you are here! Did you stumble across this article because you are wondering how people quit their jobs to make money blogging? I wondered the same for many years until I decided it was time to figure it out and join them!
Affiliate links are included below. This means I get a commission, at no additional cost to you, if you purchase products that I recommend. Everything I recommend below I personally use myself! 🙂
TIME SENSITIVE BLOGGING OFFER
Elite Blog Academy launches on February 27th, 2017! Ruth, the creator of Elite Blog Academy, is offering some amazing freemiums leading up to the launch! My favorite is the Goal Planning Workbook for Bloggers.
On Thursday 3/2 @ 4pm EST there is be a free webinar, A Simple Framework for Success: 4 Steps Every Blogger Needs to Take!
In the training, Ruth will teach you…
- The exact steps you need to take, and in what order, so that you are not stuck spinning your wheels, and instead creating massive momentum.
- How to make more money faster by maximizing revenue from the audience you have, not the one you wish you had.
- How to propel your blog further and faster in less time, with less frustration in order to create a sustainable long-term business.
To learn more about Elite Blog Academy, visit my article: How I Make a Full-Time Income with Elite Blog Academy
In January, I left my corporate job to work for a small company from home. I used the flexibility that I gained from transitioning away from the office environment to start turning this blog into a business. Here are my tips for how to do the same: I Quit My Corporate Job for Flexibility: 3 Tips for You.
I began writing my first eBook, Busy Moms Building: 12 Steps to Running Your Own Online Business for Busy Moms, in June. I turned Redefining Mom into an LLC in preparation for my eBook launch on September 29, 2016. You can find out more about the upcoming book launch by joining my free 7-day email course: Busy Moms Building Online Businesses.
UPDATE: Busy Moms Building has officially launched!
By August, I had grown my blog from under 10,000 page views to 30,000 in three months by creating a content strategy and being intentional with how I promoted my content on social media. The best part is that I grew significantly through the summer months when website traffic (especially for moms) is at the lowest for the year.
I quit my full-time job the first week of August to blog full-time!
How I Quit My Job to Blog
I began to network with other bloggers in Facebook groups and attended an in-person mastermind in May. The mastermind was a turning point in transforming my blog into a business. Most bloggers do not make their money from one income stream. I learned a ton from the ladies in my mastermind group and began to implement many of the steps immediately when I got home. You can read about the steps I took to begin monetizing my blog here: Ultimate Beginners Guide to Blogging: How to Blog for Money.
Consider going to or joining a mastermind group & transform your business! #blogger #entrepreneurClick To Tweet
Important Facts About My Income Reports
- I do my accounting on a cash basis. This means I only count revenue and expenses at the time the money comes into my bank account and leaves my bank account. All of my income reports will be done on a cash basis.
- Affiliate payments for items I promote are usually on a 60-90 day pay delay. This means that most of the affiliate income in this report was earned in previous months.
- I spent roughly six months building my blog while I was still working full-time. My primary focus was not on making an income during that time but rather building a foundation that would allow me to make money through multiple income streams later on.
- This income report will not take into account income I make through contracts that do not directly relate to blogging.
Why Do I Want to Share My Income Reports?
- This is my job now! I plan on using these reports to hold myself accountable.
- Three years ago, I was sitting in a cubicle in corporate America feeling trapped and anxious. I felt like I spent way too much time at work or traveling for work. I needed more time at home with my baby. My plan is to give you a look into my journey through sharing these income reports.
- It helps new bloggers or potential bloggers to know how people make money so they can see that it is realistic for them to do it too.
Redefining Mom Stats
- 10,099 Pinterest followers
- 5,027 Twitter followers
- 1,837 Facebook page likes
- 1,816 Instagram followers
August 2016 Income Report
August was my first month being self-employed. I worked about 20 hours a week in August because of family commitments. Payments from affiliate sales from earlier in the summer started coming in during the month. Unfortunately, I did not regularly post during the summer months because of a hectic travel schedule. Overall, I am very happy with the results for the amount of time I invested. I expect my income to significantly grow between now and the end of the year. Everything I have been putting into place should be coming to fruition soon!
$30.00- Building a Framework eBook (check out my review: Building a Framework: The Ultimate Blogging Handbook Review)
$22.35- Pinning Perfect course
$18.00- Blog by Number eBook
$59.95- Ultimate Bundles (this was from the Ultimate Homemaking Bundle back in May-June)
$400.00- from 2 writing assignments
Freelance client work
$450.00- from 2 new client retainer packages
$139.58- from my product Easy Budget and Financial Planning for Busy Families Spreadsheet (I do not promote this at all except for a Pin on Pinterest and an upsell funnel that happens when people download my Free Printable Budget Planner).
Subscriptions, Services & Fees
$9.00- SendOwl is the e-commerce tool I use to sell the budget spreadsheet I mentioned above (it’s also what I will use to sell my upcoming book and start an affiliate program of my own).
$45.00- iMark Interactive for tech support on my website. Grayson Bell is the guru behind the company and has helped out tremendously! I pay him a monthly retainer for his services.
$24.00- P.O. Box renewal for 6 months.
$7.00- Pinterest templates from The Lady Boss League.
$10.00- Acuity Scheduling is what I use to manage my calendar with clients and business meetings. LOVE IT!
$12.95- Canva.com is what I use for making all my social media graphics.
$5.00- Google Apps for hosting my domain email address.
$142.00- Virtual Assistant services (for projects that I will not see the value from until later in the year).
$22.21- PayPal/Stripe payment fees
$0.00- ConvertKit is my new email service provider but I am on a 60-day free trial so it is free this month!
Education & Coaching
$17.00- eBook purchase
$29.00- course purchase
$480.00- business coaching
My expenses are way higher than I would consider normal. Hiring out a few tasks to virtual assistants was necessary for long-term growth and will not be a regular expense until my income is much higher. My business coach is also a big investment for my income right now but I also expect that to pay for itself by the end of the year (plus much more)!
I am excited to see where I end up income wise in the coming months because of the investments I’ve made upfront.
Accomplishments for August
- Reached 10,000 Pinterest followers and 5,000 Twitter followers! I took Pinning Perfect earlier in the summer which helped me a ton with my Pinterest strategy.
- Got my act together and put up a Hire Me page and got two new clients!
- Invested in Acuity Scheduling so that clients or prospective clients can easily schedule time with me.
- Finished a course by Michelle from Making Sense of Cents called Making Sense of Affiliate Marketing! <— a seriously amazing investment! Michelle makes over $50,000 A MONTH in affiliate income. Part of the investment in the course is a private Facebook group that is very engaged and Michelle offers her assistance in there on a regular basis.
- Put together my launch plan for Busy Moms Building using Abby Lawson’s course Book Boss! Once my book launch is done I plan on sharing exactly what I did with everyone.
Goals for September
- Launch my eBook Busy Moms Building on September 29th! If I did $500 or more in sales between then and October 1st, I would be thrilled! <— Get on the list to be the first to hear about the launch: Busy Moms Building Online Businesses
- Reach 40,000 page views.
- Grow my email list from 2,607 to 3,000.
- Publish 4 new posts.
- Reach $2,000 in monthly income.
I will be starting a Mama mastermind with my business coach later this month. I am super excited to meet new Mama CEOs and make plans for 2017!
Update: Busy Moms Building has Launched!
I’m so excited to announce that my eBook Busy Moms Building has officially launched!
Busy Moms Building is for busy moms who want to start their own online business but have no idea how to start. It’s based on my experience as a corporate mom who struggled after returning from maternity leave 3 years ago. I wanted to take my corporate skills and create my own online business so I could have the flexibility to balance work and family a little bit better. I spent the next 2 years feeling completely overwhelmed and researching endless ways to make money online, but I never actually took action.
I break down how I started my own business into 12 easy to follow steps that can be completed in 45 days!
I keep an updated list of all the blogging and freelancing resources I recommend. I suggest checking it out to see the types of books and courses I’ve read over the last year that helped me make the leap into self-employment. Another great resource is this list of 5 Must Listen Podcasts for Women Entrepreneurs.
To read more: blog income reports